There are several ways to hold a baby to breastfeed. It is important to note that all of them have things in common:
- The position must be comfortable for you to stay in throughout the feed.
- The baby needs to be held close to your body, facing your breast.
- The baby’s nose should be opposite your nipple at the start.
- The baby’s head, neck and body all need to be in a straight line (head and neck not twisted).
- The baby’s head must be free to tilt backwards as he is brought into the breast.