Peer Supporting at the Royal Cornwall Hospital
In order to become a hospital peer supporter in Truro, you will need to:
- Have been volunteering as a community group peer supporter for at least 6 months
- Be prepared to become a hospital peer support volunteer for a minimum of 6 months after completing the training course
- Be willing to volunteer for a minimum of once every 2 weeks
- Complete the new accredited (2 day) Hospital Peer Support training, as well as a comprehensive portfolio of work to be completed at home (approx 6 hours)
- Be registered as a RCHT volunteer (1 day training, DBS check, ID Badge, occupation health forms)
- Complete the UNICEF Baby-Friendly accreditation training (1 day course) within 3 months of undertaking the Hospital Peer Support training
- Be willing to access supervision / information sessions, which are offered by Real Baby Milk 4 times a year
What does a Hospital Peer Supporter do?
- A Hospital Peer Supporter listens, empathises with, supports and empowers mothers
- A Hospital Peer Supporter is a source of reliable, up to date information about breastfeeding and related issues; and has access to resources, such as books, leaflets and DVDs, to share with mothers
- Supports mothers in whatever choice they decide to make
- A Hospital Peer Supporter enables mums to have a positive breastfeeding experience, no matter how long or short
- A Hospital Peer Supporter should ‘do no harm’
- A Hospital Peer Supporter knows her boundaries, not giving advice, and referring on to an appropriate practitioner/Health Care Professional as necessary
- A Peer Supporter gives what she feels she can to her local hospital, no more. She seeks support for herself as needed.
What does a Peer Supporter not do?
It is important that the hospital staff and the mums on the hospital wards know that a Hospital Peer Supporter is not a breastfeeding expert.
A Hospital Peer Supporter is not a ‘problem solver’, but a source of caring support and an empathetic listener.
How to apply:
If you would like to find out more about the role and if it’s suitable for you, please get in touch.
We can invite you to attend a supervision / information session, to meet current volunteers and learn a little more.
If you would like to apply for the next training course, please download the application form:
Once completed, email the form to email@example.com
For further information or support: